Monday, November 3, 2014

God Forbid Kids Be Kids

Well folks, it's that time of year again. Time for cold weather, time for the holidays to creep up on us, time for the flu to plague the nation...and time for Indiana basketball, which means it's also time for me to go on a rant.With the latest string of bad luck our beloved program and players have had, I'd say I have plenty to rant about, but before I do that, let me first say that Devin Davis and his family are in my prayers, and I wish nothing but the best for them. Now, on with the bitchfest. There have been several things lately concerning our fan base that has severely upset me. Everything from blaming Coach Crean for the players' behavior, to saying Emmitt was drunk, and our team has an alcohol/drug problem, and the basketball team is "out of control." .......Seriously....? I understand, that to play ball for Indiana University means you will be held to a higher standard, players are to conduct themselves in a respectful, honorable, humble way. Those high standards are what makes me love Indiana Basketball. At the same time, though, we have to remember that they are not only kids, but college kids, at a top ranked party school. They are treated like gods on campus. I don't know about you, but when I was their age, I did some SERIOUS partying, and I had nowhere near the celebrity status these kids have. They are going to make mistakes, sometimes big ones. How are they going to learn from their mistakes, if our fan base doesn't allow them to make any? I say let them be young and make mistakes, BUT they should also learn that if they are going to party and put themselves in that position they need to do so responsibly. They have to realize that everything they do will be criticized. Coach Crean can't be there to hold their hand 24/7, but he can execute some Bobby Knight discipline. I'm sure Coach Knights teams were far from sober, and done their fair share of partying, but they  didn't get caught, and they still won games, because the General put the fear of God in them. To say the program is out of control is obsurd, lacking discipline, yes, but nowhere near out of control. We, as fans, and supporters of IU Basketball, need to give these kids some breathing room, let them be kids, these are supposed to be the best years of their lives, but sometimes the fans can make their lives a living hell. That's a lot of unneeded stress, along with the stresses they already have, such as their classes, and practices, and games, and being away from home. That's a lot for somebody to deal with on a daily basis, and they don't need our B.S. Added on top of it. Anyway...that's my opinion, you can take it or leave it, I'm just hoping we all can overcome this speed bump, and have a great season. GO HOOSIERS!! ....end of rant.....for now....

No comments:

Post a Comment